Appreciating Our Body, Imperfections and All

An Excerpt from Parenting with Presence by Susan Stiffelman

I talk to my body a lot. Sometimes out loud.

I don’t usually share this fact with people (which makes it kind of interesting that I’m putting it into a book that I hope will be widely read). But the fact is, I place a lot of stock in having loving conversations with my body and its many miraculous parts and have decided that it is an idea worth sharing.

“Thank you stomach, for digesting that meal so nicely.” “Thanks, eyes — what a great job you did in letting me see the colors of those flowers today!” “Thank you, heart, for beating so reliably and keeping my circulation going. You’re amazing!” “Thank you, legs, for ferrying me around so nicely…thank you, ears, thank you, liver…bones…knees…teeth…” This love fest with my body can go on for quite a while. I nearly always find that my heart is soft and melty by the end.

Almost all of us take our body for granted until it breaks down, and then we can be quite mean to it, complaining ...

http://kajama.com/appreciating-our-body-imperfections-and-all/