What Is Bell's Palsy? CBS Anchor Explains His Diagnosis

New York City anchor Maurice DuBois was shocked when he looked in the mirror and saw his face was "frozen, literally locked up"

Maurice DuBois, an anchorman with WCBS-TV in New York City, is returning to work after being diagnosed with Bell's palsy, a form of temporary facial paralysis caused by damage or trauma to the facial nerves.

After returning from vacation with his family at the beginning of the year, Dubois was taking a selfie with his kids when he realized something was very wrong with his face.

"I looked at the lens, and I can't smile," he said. "I see half my smile isn't happening. So I run to the mirror. I see the face is frozen, literally locked up, not moving. The lines on the forehead, not there."
DuBois said his case came out of the blue, while he was "otherwise, I would say, in pretty good health." He said he did not experience any pain.

About 40,000 Americans suffer from the condition each year, according to the National Institutes of Health.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyc-anchorman-maurice-dubois-talks-bells-palsy-diagnosis/