Choosing and Using Crystals for Healing

by Christopher Penczak

(Article originally published in The Llewellyn Journal.)

From the popular 80’s sitcom, Designing Women, I heard the skeptical, shrewd, logical character Julia scold the more new age free-spirited Charlene with, “Crystals are just rocks. Pass it on.” And at the time, I agreed with Julia. Crystals are just stones, minerals. They don’t have special powers. They can’t be used to heal. Crystal power has no basis in truth. If you believe otherwise, you are just fooling yourself. I can’t believe how wrong I was.

Even once I got involved in the metaphysical and alternative health, I had a hard time swallowing the notion that crystals are healing. Herbal healing I could understand. Each plant has certain chemicals within it. Through teas, tinctures, and oils, your body absorbs these chemicals and they promote certain reactions within your physiology. Yoga made sense. Your body changes with your breathing and movement. You can synchronize your mind with your body to create a greater sense of health and harmony. Chakra meditations and balancing have analogs in the body with particular glands and hormones. ...

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/646