Arwen Donohue: Care is a Creative Act

"I had sort of a grandiose idea that I was writing a big hybrid book--part oral history illuminated by portraiture, part graphic memoir, and part history of the peculiar role that the idea of agrarianism has played in American life. The drawings of daily life on the farm became a small part of this rangy, years-long interdisciplinary process. After I finished the year of drawing 'Landings,' I kept working on the oral histories and portraits, and worked on farm-related comics. I still had the idea that all of these things might come together in some singular work, but I could not get my arms around it. After all that, I suppose it's no surprise that Landings has such a simple form..." 

Writer and artist Arwen Donohue shares more about her unique book, 'Landings: A Crooked Creek Farm Year.'