Emergence Disturbs the Concept of Linearity

When Bayo Akomolafe was a child he prayed to God for a "faith-o-meter" -- some kind of tool that would measure his worthiness and assure him of his place in heaven. "Of course I didn't get my prayer answered," he says. "But I got something better than an answer, I got bewildered, and I am in a state of bewilderment now." An academic, poet and philosopher, Bayo Akomolafe has dedicated his life to mediating between the spiritual and the scientific. Raised as a Christian in the hyper-religious Nigerian capital of Lagos, he studied Psychology and then while researching for his PhD spent 7 years lecturing at Nigeria's Covenant University. In 2016, he co-founded The Emergence Network, an alliance of people, initiatives and communities using art, research and ritual to reframe some of the world's interlocking social and environmental problems."