Teen Overcomes Anorexia Through YOGA

When people ask 16-year-old Maris Degener why she was hospitalized for three weeks at the age of 13, she sometimes tells them it was a "heart thing" or because of dehydration. The truth carries a deeper mental and physical pain: It was anorexia.

"I associate it with not knowing who I was or what I wanted to do," Degener said. "I wasn't the artsy kid or the sporty kid. I was just there and it spiraled into looking for perfection and control. The irony is that it almost took away my chance to live."

Degener was a competitive swimmer for more than five years before being diagnosed. After her hospital stay ended, she was still on bed rest with strict orders from the doctor to avoid physical activity.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/health/turning-points-anorexia-yoga/index.html