Celebrate This Halloween

(Article originally published in The Llewellyn Journal.)

It’s the cool, smoky month of October and I’m in love. I’m counting down each day until my favorite night of the year: All Hallows Eve. Since I can remember, I’ve loved Halloween. Now, I know you’ve heard that before, but I am absolutely crazy over it. To prove it, my goal is to coax every reader of this article do something to celebrate.

The feeling usually begins simmering for me in late August when there’s one or two crisp, cool days mixed in amongst the usual heat. That’s when I crank up one of my classical-music-mixed-with-creepy-sounds CDs and start planning what to wear Halloween night. The anticipation is fueled by the sound of fallen leaves crunching wonderfully underfoot. Magazines bring out their Halloween issues, boasting decadent cakes, cookies, and cupcakes decorated with spiders, pumpkins, skeletons and little, pointed-hat-witches. Then comes the delight of heading to the mall and suddenly seeing racks of costumes, masks, candles, lights, and makeup neat and tidy before people have started rummaging through them.

Halloween just makes ...

http://kajama.com/celebrate-this-halloween-2/