Daily Inspirational Quote October 12 2014

“Saints are sinners who kept going.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

While great spiritual teachers can surely inspire us, when we compare ourselves to them, we often end up feeling inadequate as we are. Years ago, I’d devour one spiritual book after another, and shamefully long to be as wise and wonderful as their authors. Now that I know many teachers and writers personally (and have become one myself), I know that in our lives, we are far from perfect. We all stumble and get lost or lose ourselves as we encounter ever greater lessons. I now believe that whether we consider ourselves to be students, teachers or both, our moral fiber is not measured by our ability to be “perfect,” but rather, by the quality of our determination to persist in the endless battle between the ego and the higher self.