A Lost Mariposa Garden

"I got a phone call one morning. The woman was distraught. Her friend's garden -- thirty five years in the making -- was being destroyed. The larger pieces-- a griffin, a couple of horses and two large cats-- were too heavy to move without special equipment. And the blue mosaic hillside had already been bulldozed. I published an art magazine. Wouldn't I want to see it before it was gone? I would. 

Two days later, on a cold, wet February morning, I was on my way to Mariposa near Yosemite Valley -- a three and a half hour drive." What began as a journey to visit a disappearing garden, turned into an unexpected pilgrimage of sorts, one that pays homage to the ground where generosity, gardens, art, transience, truth and ineffable mystery meet. 

Richard Whittaker shares more.