Earth's Wild Music: Celebrating & Defending Nature's Songs

"I started thinking about how I could open people's hearts without breaking them. How I could point to the onrushing extinctions and not force people to turn away in absolute grief. I decided that I was going to have to write in a way that was like a wave -- I would lift people and smash them at the same time. 

What is it that reaches people without breaking them? What is it that goes straight into people's hearts? What do they love about the world and will call them to action? I decided that of all the things I loved about the world, what I loved the most was the music. What I loved the most was the sound. I've been writing about this for quite some time, so I had a couple of essays already under my belt, and I couldn't think of a more wonderful writing assignment for myself then to go outside and listen." 

Acclaimed environmental philosopher and nature writer Kathleen Dean Moore shares more about her book of essays, "Earth's Wild Music: Celebrating and Defending the Songs of the Natural World."