Alicia Doyle: Fighting Chance

"My boxing career doesn't have the typical fairy tale ending. I quit after my first and only professional match. I never won a world title or a championship belt in the pros. The crescendo of my story doesn't end with my arm raised victorious in the ring. My wins came after I left the roped-off square, when I had a chance to contemplate the lessons I learned in the fight game. These lessons, which transcended into epiphanies, are my greatest reward." Alicia Doyle is an award-winning journalist who discovered boxing at age 28 in the late 1990s when she went on assignment at a boxing gym for at-risk youth called Kid Gloves. During her boxing career, Alicia won two Golden Gloves championship titles and earned three wins by knockout--and her pro debut at age 30 in the year 2000 was named The California Female Fight of the Year. 

What follows is an excerpt from her award-winning book,"Fighting Chance."