Giving the Homeless a Hand Up with Technology

At HandUp.org, before you help someone in need, you can see their face, look into their eyes, see their children, their smile, read about their challenges, and even send them a message. In a meaningful way, HandUp.org connects donors with those in need. The brainchild of Rose Broome, HandUp.org fulfills a need she realized existed when saw a homeless woman sleeping on the street. Here she was in San Francisco surrounded by all of this progress, but no way to help. "With all of the innovation that we have here, and all the resources, I wondered why I could pull my phone out of my pocket, push a button, get a ride, push another button, get dinner, but there wasn't a button that I could push to do something to help that woman," she said. This article and video share Broome's inspiring story.