Eaternity

"Looking back, Manuel Klarmann reflects that, "As an 8-year-old, when I learned that I was eating food while, on the other half of the planet, people were starving, that completely puzzled me. How could that happen?" It was a critical moment in his life. As a young man nearing eight years into an inspired startup, Klarmann talks about a deceptively simple idea, "What we're doing with Eaternity is providing a way for our society, on a rational basis, to get one little step closer to sanity."

One can never predict who might show up at one of the weekly Awakin circles in Santa Clara. Awakin circles, which have spread all over the world, are one of the longest-standing of ServiceSpace’s several projects. There are many rewarding aspects of attending one of these circles; one of these is listening as each person in turn has a chance to share his or her thoughts. The level of sincerity the circle fosters is always touching and frequently afterwards, before heading home, I can’t resist approaching one or two strangers to learn more about them. It’s how I met Klarmann, a young entrepreneur from Switzerland who was visiting the Bay Area. As we chatted, it wasn’t long before I asked if he’d be willing to be interviewed.

He agreed and a couple of weeks later, one afternoon we met at a residential address in Palo Alto. As we looked for a good place to set up somehow Bitcoin and new systems based on Internet connectivity came up. I turned on the recorder immediately and I asked him to say more...

http://www.conversations.org/story.php?sid=445