The Ugly Duckling

By Helen Woo, Author of SELF-AID – Inspirations to Turn Struggles into Success

I am the ugly duckling. There are three of us – and I am always the odd man out. I am different from my siblings.

I want to be like my sister. Heck, I want to BE my sister. She’s older, she’s prettier, she’s taller, and she’s smarter. She gets all the attention. She’s perfect. My sister can do no wrong.

I like being a girl, so I don’t want to be like my brother – except I know that if I was born a boy, I’d get special treatment all the time.

I am seven years old, maybe eight, and I want approval so badly. I am proud and happy to carry the groceries on our way home from the market. We have no car, so walking is our norm.

I’d willingly help out in the kitchen every chance I could. I craved love and I wanted approval so desperately. Oh, please, please, please “Let me help you – let me make you proud. Please give me a ...

http://kajama.com/the-ugly-duckling/