Local Gardens Foster an Ethic of the Land by Clea Danaan

(Article originally published in The Llewellyn Journal.)

How can we create a sustainable world? Are we doomed to extinction, or is there hope? I believe we can craft a new world, one garden at a time….

Into my sturdy canvas bag I put heirloom tomatoes, giant zucchinis, and shiny green peppers, picked fresh that morning. The farm pickup volunteer sits in his wheelchair, calmly surveying the hubbub of shareholders as they weigh out cherry tomatoes and choose the right chilies. My daughter, wrapped around my leg, watches the bustle with interest.

“Hey, Baby, want to go pick some flowers?” I ask as I choose a bunch of chard and nestle it atop the carrots. We head out into the hot afternoon.

As we tromp the dozen yards out to the flower bed and past great piles of compost, I wave at a Somali Bantu elder harvesting cucumbers. My toddler picks marigolds by the fistful while I pluck a few more peppers in a nearby bed. Though the farm’s fields are large, I know she is safe. The ...

http://kajama.com/local-gardens-foster-ethic-land/