Daily Inspirational Message for March 29, 2014

“What counts in making a happy relationship is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.”
- Daniel Goleman


I put my first husband through so much. I was only 20 when we married, and I had no idea what I was doing. Most of all, I had this strong sense of feminist independence, and I would not compromise on anything. I wouldn’t rein myself in at all in terms of where I went and when, who I hung out with, etc., regardless of how he felt. I have learned a great deal since then, and my second marriage is the benefactor of my new wisdom. Now when I don’t agree with my husband, I can still respect and honor his feelings. I can say to him and to myself that he is simply worth compromising for. It’s not a sacrifice, it’s an investment, for this attitude has built a relationship where there is so much joy and intimacy that compromising means I end up with more, not less.